Most of us have computers and are on the go quite a bit. I have found some software that is really great for Bible study. It is called e-Sword.net. They have numerous versions of the Bible, numerous commentaries and numerous other helps. Best of all, it is free to download! I suggest, if you have the patience to wait, make a donation and get the disk. In the past, it has most of the resources at the website on the disk plus some that you can purchase. The only one that I did purchase was the New King James Version of the Bible. That is the one that I use the most.
e-Sword is feature rich and user friendly. This combination is what I pursued, and as such there were decisions I had to make when implementing various features. If a feature became too complicated for anyone other than a software engineer to use, then I abandoned the design in favor of keeping things simple. The $500.00 software packages might be able to do more “things”, but does the average user know how to take advantage of them? No! Below you’ll find a list of features that you will discover makes the study of God’s Word both enjoyable and enriching.
- All available Bibles, commentaries and dictionaries are readily viewed without having to “tile windows”.
- Create your own “parallel Bible” with up to any four translations. Studying the Word of God and comparing passages have never been easier!
- Integrated editor for creating your own commentaries or study notes, complete with Spell Checking and a Thesaurus! Notes are “linked” to the Bible for easy viewing and can also be exported for portability.
- Comprehensive print capabilities, including print preview, allow you to create impressive Bible study handouts from the Study Notes Editor.
- Strong’s definitions are displayed as ToolTips! Just place the mouse pointer over a Strong’s number and the definition will then be displayed.
- Scripture references in the Commentary and Dictionary views are displayed as ToolTips! Just place the mouse pointer over the reference and the passage will then be displayed. To go to the passage, just click it!
- Easily compare the various translations to see how they rendered the Greek or Hebrew manuscripts.
- Powerful search capabilities, yet simple to use. Enter as many words you want to search for and select the search style and range. You can even search on Strong numbers and exclude words from the search!
- Use the Verse List to create your own topical lists of Scripture, or cataloging your discoveries!
- Copy and print Scripture in a variety of formatting styles. This is also available for search results and verse lists.
- Graphics Viewer for studying maps, charts, and other images.
- STEP Reader for viewing the various resources you may have invested in from QuickVerse, Bible Companion, and WORDsearch.
Study to show yourself approved. (2 Tim 2:15)